The Truth about Hemp

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cannabis and Seizures Study from UK  (Read 3855 times)

Sea Mac

• The Wizard
  • Cultivator
  • Expertise: 18
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.15 Firefox 3.6.15
Re: Cannabis and Seizures Study from UK
« Reply #2 on: 03-13-2011 at 04:25:14 AM »

Another helpful scientific study showing how life saving regular pot smoking can be.

No wonder Nixon died young ....  :P ;D all that booze and caffeine  ::) :banghead:

elyusium

• Staff
  • Expertise: 8
  • Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.6
  • Browser:
  • Firefox 3.6.13 Firefox 3.6.13
Cannabis and Seizures Study from UK
« Reply #1 on: 01-23-2011 at 08:47:03 AM »

So, I've had a seizure disorder, very serious condition, for 15yrs now. I probably had it for far longer but didn't no it because since I was a teenager I was using Cannabis for recreation as will as psyciatric diagnosis. It was my psychiatris at the time that told me to stick with marijuana and stay the hell away from the drugs he can give me as much as possibe. Great Doc! I also use it for chronic pain with full support from my doc. He agrees that mixing it with a lighter opiate through the month is an excellent idea. Another great Doc!

Grand-mal seizures cause broken bones, and death, I know from personal experience; my wrist, my foot, both of my scapula bones, (no real sleep for three months with that), my ribs, amongst others, but the worst is when I bit a third of the tip of my tongue in half, right down the middle. Took five months to heal. So yes, folks who smoke who have seizure disorders have known all along how efficacious Cannabis is for seizures. So it's great for me to see this research on going. I doubt very much if  it's only the CBD inside THC to help with this. When studies like this come out Scientists never mention, or rarely, how chemically complex THC is and how little they know about it. Albeit, given the prohibition of it they can be forgiven somewhat. I have never had a seizure when I was using Cannabis on a regular basis. Didn't even know I had the disorder until I moved across country and lost my supply for a few months.
 :heart:

Reading, United Kingdom: The administration of the nonpsychotropic cannabinoid CBD (cannabidiol) significantly reduces the incidences and severity of seizures, according to preclinical data published online in Seizure: The Journal of the British Epilepsy Association.

Investigators at the University of Reading, School of Pharmacy, in the United Kingdom assessed the anticonvulsant activity of CBD (administered in 1, 10, and 100mg/kg doses) in two established rodent seizure models, the acute pilocarpine model of temporal lobe seizure and the penicillin model of partial seizure. Seizure activity was video recorded and scored offline using model-specific seizure severity scales.

Authors reported: "CBD (all doses) significantly reduced the percentage of animals experiencing the most severe pilocarpine-induced seizures. In the penicillin model, CBD (all doses) significantly increased the percentage of seizure-free animals; CBD (100mg/kg) decreased the percentage of animals experiencing the most severe seizures, decreased median seizure severity and showed a strong trend to reduce mortality."

They concluded, "[T]hese results extend the anti-convulsant profile of CBD; when combined with a reported absence of psychoactive effects, this evidence strongly supports CBD as a therapeutic candidate for a diverse range of human epilepsies."

Survey data published in 2004 in the journal Neurology reported that 21 percent of subjects with epilepsy had used marijuana in the past year, "with the majority of active users reporting beneficial effects on seizures."

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the study, "Cannabidiol exerts anti-convulsant effects in animal models of temporal lobe and partial seizures," appears online in Seizure: The Journal of the British Epilepsy Association.
peace

The Truth about Hemp Privacy Policy

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 25 queries.

email